We are getting ready for a new partnership where Dora's Field in Rydal will be opened as part of the National Garden Scheme "Wordsworth Daffodil Legacy trail". Saturday 1st of April will be the day where people can follow the trail from Cartmel to Carlisle with two National Trust gardens playing there part to the wonderful trail.
To celebrate all things Daffodil and Wordsworth’s Lake District legacy seven locations throughout Cumbria are taking part in the National Gardens Scheme’s Daffodil Day – 01 April 2012.The properties involved are Holker Hall (Cark-in-Cartmel), Summerdale House (Nook), Dora’s Field (Rydal), Rydal Hall (Rydal), Acorn Bank (Temple Sowerby), High Moss (Portinscale) and Carlisle Cemetery (Richardson St, Carlisle). From 11am until 4pm they are all throwing open their gates and holding a Wordsworth Daffodil Day to allow the public to see a crowd, a host, of golden daffodils.
Originally called the Rashfield derived from rush field as the damp nature of the ground would have originally supported mainly rushes.
Purchased from the Backhouse family by W Wordsworth in 1826 as a defence strategy. The Wordsworth's were tenants of Lady Anne le Flemming at Rydal Mount behind Doras Field from May 1813, in 1825 Lady Anne announced her intention of giving the tenancy of Rydal Mount to a relative. Under threat of eviction, and desperate not to be forced away from the idyllic Rydal, William purchased the field and made it clear to Lady le Fleming his intention of building on the field in what ever way he wished (this would have been right in the view from Rydal Mount). Indeed pay a famous Kendal architect George Webster to draw up a design.
In the event this contingency plan was not needed as the threat was withdrawn. The family retained the field and it was given to Dora, Williams daughter.When Dora tragically died William, his wife and Gardener went and planted hundreds of Daffodil bulbs in her memory.
The field (0.6ha)was gifted to the National Trust by the Gordon Wordsworth in 1935 for the benefit of the public. The National Trust maintains the paths and prevents the open areas from returning to woodland and losing the open views. The are also benches to allow visitors to pause for a moment amid the hectic rush of life.
Volunteers helping resurfacing paths
Crushed slate is used from our local quarry in Elterwater
Fallen limbs from trees are stacked to create habitat pile for Beetles and spiders and other small Fauna
The Chapel of St Mary at Rydal was funded by Lady Le Fleming of Rydal Hall. Started in 1823, it was completed the following year. A tower, nave, and chancel make up the church, which has seen repairs and renovations during the 20th century. The ‘chapel’ has been dropped from its name. Located just down the hill from Wordsworth's home, Rydal Mount, he helped choose the church site, originally the Le Fleming orchard.
So if your in the Rydal area on the 1st April, then please call in to Dora's field and say hello, we will have volunteers and National Trust Rangers on site to answer any questions and talk about the history and management of this wonderful location.